Warm Winter Entree Salad
- 2 quart pot with lid
- cutting board
- colander or strainer
- small baking pan
- 2 mixing bowls, one large, one small
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/3 cup quinoa dry
- 1/8 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup pickled beets or canned or roasted beets if prefered
- 1 med apple
- 1 oz blue cheese crumbles
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Prepare the quinoa
- Rinse ⅓ cup dry quinoa under cold running water in a fine mesh strainer, transfer to a medium-sized pot containing ⅔ cup water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, and continue to cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover, and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork just before serving.
Prepare the nuts and apple
- Chop large-sized nuts to smaller chunky pieces.
- Place spread out on a baking sheet and place in the oven for about 10 minutes or until golden brown and toasted. Set aside to cool.
- Square off the apple and chop into small dice.
Prepare the vinaigrette
- Chop 1 clove of garlic and olive oil, lemon juice and pepper into a bowl or small tightly sealed container. Whisk or shake ingredients
Assemble the salad
- Toss washed salad greens and apples with half of the vinaigrette. Place greens and apples onto a large plate or into a bowl.
- Place ½ cup beets on or around edges of salad.
- Place quinoa on top of salad greens. Top with nuts and bleu cheese crumbles.
- Drizzle with remaining dressing and enjoy!