Simple Healthy Tomato Basil Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 whole yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cans diced tomatoes 28 oz cans
- 16 oz chicken broth
- 1 cup basil chopped
- 1/2 cup half and half
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil on medium to high heat in a large soup pot or cast iron dutch oven.
- Add chopped onion and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add minced garlic and stir to combine for about a minute or until fragrant. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the canned tomatoes and chicken broth. Stir to combine and reduce heat. Let simmer for 10- 15 minutes.
- Add chopped basil and stir to combine. Let simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add half and half and remove from heat.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy! Grilled cheese optional, but encouraged. 🙂